UFC President Dana White Responds to McGregor’s Comments.
Conor McGregor held an hour long interview with MMA Journalist Ariel Helwani in Manchester, England at the EventCity exhibition center Saturday night. Fans could stream the interview on McGregor’s website if they paid five dollars. Although McGregor wasn’t fighting, he didn’t hold back any punches.
McGregor (21-3) is taking a break from fighting while he spends time with his pregnant girlfriend, but that doesn’t mean he will stop talking. McGregor took shots at the UFC, their new ownership, Nate Diaz and Floyd Mayweather.
Before McGregor got interviewed, he took to social media with a bunch of expletives directed towards some big names.
I'm so made!
Heading to do a Q and A in front of 5000 fans! You read that right. That's more… https://t.co/y9IK84xwUQ
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) January 28, 2017
Diaz and Mayweather FaceTimed with each other and released the video on their social media back in December 2016. They were laughing at McGregor’s expense, something McGregor wasn’t happy with. Below is video of the FaceTime between Diaz and McGregor from the YouTube page of FightHype.com.
“Nate’s a b*tch. Nate’s a f*cking b*tch, and let me tell you why,” said McGregor. “I had the biggest respect for Nate – and I still have big respect for Nick, he’s out doing his thing – but when [Nate] took that phone call or that video call from Floyd Mayweather, and was like, ‘hello Floyd’s fans,’ he was Floyd’s b*tch that night. I was like, you f*cking p*ssy. You absolute p*ssy.”
Diaz and McGregor have fought twice, with Diaz winning the first matchup at UFC 196 via second-round submission. McGregor got the better of Diaz in the rematch winning by decision. Both events were headlined by the two fighters and were the two biggest PPVs in UFC history. McGregor has plans to settle the 1-1 tied between the two, by doing a trilogy fight in the future.
“Don’t get me wrong, me and Nate will throw down again, 100 percent,” said McGregor. “It’s one apiece. We’ll finish it off. I’d imagine it will be for the lightweight world title, 155. It could be like a skeleton wrapped in cling film. If his team is wise, they’ll talk him out of it. They’ll say, ‘you’ve made some money, your face is drooping to the left, your speech is slurred. Chill now. Enjoy the money.’ But they’re not the most intelligent people, so I’m sure me and Nate will go again.”
Before McGregor fights Diaz, he has plans for Mayweather. McGregor stated he would fight Mayweather in a boxing ring, which would not be under the UFC banner like UFC President Dana White had previously said it would be. White spoke to the media at the conclusion on UFC on Fox 23 in Denver, CO Saturday night.
“I’ve always shown Conor nothing but respect, and if he wants to go down that road with us, let me tell you, it will be an epic fall,” White said.
White made an official offer to both fighters of $25 million a piece, plus a portion of the PPV, which would be negotiated at a later time.
White dismissed McGregor’s comments of being anything to take too seriously.
“Hey, listen, when you’re about to do a pay-per-view that you’re charging people five bucks to listen to you talk, I’m sure you’ve got to say some pretty crazy sh*t,” White added.
Time will tell if this is all talk or if this is case of “Where there’s smoke, there’s fire”. Once it gets closer to McGregor’s return in May, we should get a better idea of what is really next for McGregor.