Lightning’s Rally Comes Up Short In Toronto
Auston Matthews had three assists and William Nylander added a pair of goals and an assist to lead the Toronto Maple Leafs past the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-3. Jake Gardiner and James van Riemsdyk also scored and Frederik Andersen made 30 saves as Toronto improves to 34-19-5 on the year.
- Trailing 3-0, Alex Killorn got the Lightning on the board with his 10th goal of the season. The goal extends his points streak to four straight games. He added an assist on Nikita Kucherov’s goal and has points in five of his last six games (5-5–10).
- Brayden Point and Nikita Kucherov picked up assists on Killorn’s goal.
- Kucherov scored less than a minute into the third period to cut the lead to 3-2. He has now scored a goal in three straight games (3-2–5) and has points in five of his last six (3-4–7). He has 71-points on the season (30-41–71) which leads the NHL.
- Point’s assist ended a season long (3x) pointless streak.
- Yanni Gourde tied the game at 3-3 a mere 20-seconds after Kucherov’s goal. It’s his 21st goal of the season tying Brad Richards for fourth most goals by a rookie in franchise history. He trails Steven Stamkos (23, 2008-09), Ondrej Palat (23 – 2013-14). and Tyler Johnson (24, 2013-14).
- Braydon Coburn and Steven Stamkos picked up assists on Gourde’s goal. Stamkos has recorded points in five of his last six games (3-4–7).
Milestone: With his assist on Gourde’s goal, Braydon Coburn picks up his 200th career point.
Milestone: Victor Hedman played in his 500th career game. The most games ever by a Lightning defenseman is Pavel Kubina (662).
- Tampa Bay travels to Buffalo to take on the Sabres Tuesday night. The contest will complete the ninth of the Bolts 13 back-to-back series on the schedule.