Why The Ducks Will Beat The Buckeyes
The Rose Bowl really missed out. The Pac-12 and Big 10 champs are meeting in Dallas, with a championship on the line. I believe the Oregon Ducks will win their first national title.
I have a ton of respect for the Buckeyes, and what they’ve accomplished under Urban Meyer. They won 24 straight games, lost a pair, and now have won 13/14 games. On paper, it’s pretty even, both sport awesome offenses and solid defenses. But Oregon will win, and here is why:
1. The Ducks outscore everyone they beat. In victory with Marcus Mariota as the QB the Ducks averaged 2014 (49.0) 2013 (50.5) 2012 (57.4).
In their 4 defeats they’ve averaged 18.5.
2. Oregon is starting the Heisman trophy winner at quarterback, who is an elite runner and thrower. Ohio State’s quarterback is making his 3rd career start (albeit an impressive 2-0!). In the BCS-era QB’s with 11 starts or less are 0-3 in National Title games.
3. This is by far the best quarterback the Buckeyes have faced all season long and its not really that close. Ohio State has faced some good offenses, but nothing like this.
4. The Ducks don’t beat themselves. On the season, Oregon has turned it over just 10 times. They’ve given up just 13 points off turnovers this year!
5. Sacks were an issue early in the season for Oregon with an injured offensive line. Not so much anymore. They allowed just 14 sacks over their final 7 regular season games, and none in the Pac-12 title game or Rose Bowl.
6. Over the last 5 years the Ducks have the best record in college football (60-7), two games clear of second best, Alabama (58-9).
7. The Pac-12 was arguably the best conference in the country this season. In non-conference games this year, the Pac-12 went a national best 14-5. The Big Ten went 11-16.
8. The Vegas favorite has won SEVEN straight national title games. They only underdog to cover was Auburn last year.
The Ducks are favored because they are better. Any nerves they may have had weren’t obvious in the Rose Bowl in front of 90+ thousand. They’ll keep scoring until they don’t need to score any more.