The most competitive position battle since UCF began fall practice was at the linebacker position.
The Knights will look to senior linebacker Josh Linam to lead the young core. Linam was third on team last year in tackles with 78 tackles and second on team in tackles for a loss with nine and was Liberty Bowl most outstanding defensive player ready to lead the young group.
“Try to guide them in right direction” Linam said. “I am there if they have any questions and just try to make sure were all on the same page and be the linebacking core we need to be.”
Playing alongside Linam will be freshman phenom highest rated defense recruit in program history in Leilon Willingham who was four star recruit according to rivals from Denver’s Mullen school has a strong summer and grasping the system despite being just a freshman. Junior Jonathan Davis who moved from running back to linebacker which was position he was a star at high school has made good transition and should get a lot of snaps along with fellow junior Ray Shipman who sat out last year after transferring from the Florida Gators where he played Basketball.
Loren Robinson, junior college transfer Ray Cottman and Terran Buck round out the group. Don’t be surprised if all of these guys get significant snaps early in the season especially in the season opener Saturday against Charleston Southern in where they should have a big lead and get to play a lot of players on roster.
News and Notes
- Check out previous UCF position previews DL, DB, WR
- Check out Sunday’s edition of ESPN1080.Com Insiders Show from this past week as we made our 2011 college football picks, and debut ESPN1080.Com Insider Charlie Bernstein as well preview Miami Hurricanes with Southernpigskin.com’s Carlos Pineda. Listen here
- Listen to ESPN1080.Com Insiders Shows previews of UCF, UF, FSU, UM
- ESPN 1080 is home of Florida State football. Check out ESPN1080.Com Insiders FSU Podcast with Eric Lopez and Andrew Melnick as we preview FSU Season, expectations as well as talk FSU Basketball schedule. Listenhere.
- US Open tennis begins today check out ESPN1080.Com’s US Open Tennis preview podcast with Eric Lopez and Matt Dunaway as they break down the men’s and women’s draw. Listen here
via UCF Knights Insider – 1080 ESPN Orlando.