We are proud to be part of the Indianapolis 500 radio network where you can hear the race of WWBA 820 AM or stream it live right here on the streaming service Sunday starting at 11 am by clicking here. This years race is a wide open affair with as many as ten drivers with a real chance of finding their way to the winners circle Sunday.
Many people grew up listening to the Indianapolis 500 on a transistor radio at cookouts from Florida to California. There is something about listening to racing on the radio and especially the 500.
WWBA 820 AM the flagship station of the News and Sports Talk Florida is home to the Indianapolis 500 and I had a chance this week to talk with three members of the talented team of broadcasters of the Indycar radio team.
Lead announcer Mark Jaynes. Davey Hamilton, an 11-time Indy 500 starter, will handle the action from the start – finish line. They will be joined by a very talented crew that includes Jake Query, Nick Yeoman, Michael Young, Dave Furst, Katie Hargitt and Rob Howden.
Jaynes, Yeoman and Young spoke to me this week about their coverage and what they expect to see come Sunday at noon. The trio of broadcasters were excited about the many storylines they are running down for Sunday’s broadcast.
Jaynes on his job as anchor of the broadcast. “I am lucky to be the conductor of a wonderful orchestra of announcers in the business. The moment I go to any of them they are ready and pitch perfect with the best information possible for the listeners.”
Jaynes on the tech help he has for the broadcast “I do have monitors and stats that are all very helpful. It is a great deal to process all at one time but nothing takes the place of what your own eyes are showing you.”
Over at turn two Nick Yeoman, can only see what is going on in front to him at the time. “I listen to what Mark is talking about and I can pick the cars coming out of turn one, heading to me as they begin to hit the gas as they move into the back stretch. The fun part of my job is something new happens every lap they come by me.”
At the top of pit row there is Mike Young who covers the first eight cars at the front of the pit. “I really do some running that is for sure. I cover about 100 yards and talk to crew chiefs, while watching the pits stops. When you are going the length of a football field in a second as these cars can do then every second they can save in the pits is very important.”
Young also gets to interview the winner of the race. “It is great fun to speak with the person who steps out of the car the moment they realize their life will never be the same.”
We have plenty more in our pre-race show with all three men.
With position, car number, driver, engine, team, four-lap qualifying speed average:
1. 9, Scott Dixon, Honda, Ganassi, 232.164 mph
2. 20, Ed Carpenter, Chevrolet, Carpenter, 231.664
3. 98, Alexander Rossi, Honda, Andretti Herta, 231.487
4. 26, Takuma Sato, Honda, Andretti, 231.365
5. 29, Fernando Alonso, Honda, Andretti McLaren, 231.300
6. 21, JR Hildebrand, Chevrolet, Carpenter, 230.889
7. 10, Tony Kanaan, Honda, Ganassi, 230.828
8. 27, Marco Andretti, Honda, Andretti, 230.474
9. 12, Will Power, Chevrolet, Penske, 230.200
10. 28, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Honda, Andretti, 231.442
11. 19, Ed Jones, Honda, Coyne, 230.578
12. 16, Orio Servia, Honda, Rahal Letterman Lanigan, 230.309
13. 7, Mikhail Aleshin, Honda, Schmidt Peterson, 230.271
14. 15, Graham Rahal, Honda, Rahal Letterman Lanigan, 230.253
15. 8, Max Chilton, Honda, Ganassi, 230.068
16. 83, Charlie Kimball, Honda, Ganassi, 229.956
17. 5, James Hinchcliffe, Honda, Schmidt Peterson, 229.860
18. 22, Juan Pablo Montoya, Chevrolet, Penske, 229.565
19. 3, Helio Castroneves, Chevrolet, Penske, 229.515
20. 77, Jay Howard, Honda, Schmidt Peterson, 229.414
21. 24, Sage Karam, Chevrolet, Dreyer & Reinbold, 229.380
22. 2, Josef Newgarden, Chevrolet, Penske, 228.501
23. 1, Simon Pagenaud, Chevrolet, Penske, 228.093
24. 14, Carlos Munoz, Chevrolet, Foyt, 227.921
25. 88, Gabby Chaves, Chevrolet, Harding, 226.921
26. 4, Conor Daly, Chevrolet, Foyt, 226.439
27. 50, Jack Harvey, Honda, Shank Andretti, 225.742
28. 63, Pippa Mann, Honda, Coyne, 225.008
29. 11, Spencer Pigot, Chevrolet, Juncos, 224.052
30. 44, Buddy Lazier, Chevrolet, Lazier, 223.417
31. 17, Sebastian Saavedra, Chevrolet, Juncos, 221.142
32. 40, Zach Veach, Chevrolet, Foyt, 221.081
33. 18, James Davison, Honda, Coyne, no speed