Top story line
Revamped road-course racing. Sunday’s race at Circuit of The Americas will be the debut of the new low-downforce package on road courses after Cup Series drivers got a first taste at Phoenix Raceway. Also for the first time, the choose rule will be in effect before each restart and while stage points will still be awarded, there will be zero stage cautions. Strategy will be important throughout the race for teams looking to make up ground on the track or maximize their points day – it will be a fine line and a big test when it comes down to racing for the win during the Final Stage.
LISTEN TO THE RACE LIVE HERE – WATCH ON FOX
Need more details? Watch Steve Letarte and Todd Gordon break it down
He may not be the betting favorite to win, but watch out forAlex Bowman. Bowman doesn’t get the road-course credit that some of his Hendrick Motorsports teammates get and that’s fair given he’s never actually won a left-and-right-circuit race. But his performances at COTA specifically have been exceptional with a pair of top 10s and a dramatic runner-up result a year ago. He has also had a hot start to this season in general, reeling off top 10s in every race this season except for last week at Atlanta Motor Speedway. With all the other story lines, Bowman will be overlooked this weekend, but that doesn’t mean he can’t win.
Honorable mention: Road-course ringer, Jordan Taylor
Our biggest pieces of the week — get covered for race day from all angles.
– Paint Scheme Preview: New paint schemes for Texas tripleheader | Pick a favorite
– Power Rankings: Is Christopher Bell set to break through at COTA? | Latest driver rankings
– Fantasy Fastlane: Expect an AJ Allmendinger rebound this weekend | Best plays, lineup advice
– Betting odds: Which driver is the favorite to win Sunday? | Top bets, underdog picks
– Stacking Pennies: Corey LaJoie riding high after career-best finish | Listen to the podcast
NASCAR 75: Check out exclusive NASCAR content throughout the anniversary season | Learn more, explore
Hot off the press
Key stories and breaking news from the week leading up to the race.
– Penalty appeal: Hendrick Motorsports appeal scheduled for March 29 | Read more
– Chase Elliott: Will join FOX Sports booth during Sunday’s race | Read more
– Flashback to 2022: AJ Allmendinger reflects on wild finish last year at COTA | Read more
– Photo memories: Lesa France Kennedy recounts special Bowman Gray win | Watch the video
– Atlanta penalty report: Josh Williams suspended one race, other penalties | Read more
– Jordan Taylor: Shows off Jeff Gordon-inspired helmet for NASCAR debut | Read more
– Tyler Reddick: 23XI Racing driver finding his form before Sunday’s race | Read more
– North Wilkesboro: Recap the day of Cup Series testing at the track |Read more
– Kevin Harvick: Will compete in late model stock race during All-Star Week | Read more
– Powerball: Organization unveils new NASCAR Playoffs promotion | Read more
– Trackhouse Racing: Project91 will feature multiple drivers in 2023 | Read more
Get in on the action
Think you know NASCAR? Put your mettle to the test with gaming, fantasy and Fan Rewards.
– Fan Rewards: New in 2023, get rewarded for your participation | Learn more
– Fantasy Live: Still time to get on the leaderboard and win big this season | Tips for 2023
– NASCAR BetCenter: Don’t miss your chance to make picks each week | Visit the BetCenter
– Going the distance: 2023 Cup Series championship odds | See them here
Coming back to COTA
Road courses have been an integral part of the sport’s history, and in just two races, COTA has lived up to the hype.
– Winner, winner: All-time winners on road courses | See who has the most
– Road-course ringers: Active drivers with road-course wins | View the full list
– On the rise: Road-course racing in NASCAR continues to grow, flourish | Read more– GIFs are great: Key moments from most recent COTA race in GIFs | See them here
– Final Laps: Ross Chastain, Alex Bowman and AJ Allmendinger race to the finish | Highlights from 2022
Take some notes
Five hard-hitting, race-relevant statistics, brought to you by the experts at Racing Insights.
– On Sunday, the choose cone will be used at COTA for the first time on a road course.
– The last three drivers to score their first Cup win did it on a road course (Ross Chastain, Daniel Suárez, Tyler Reddick).
– Chris Buescher finished in the top 10 in the last five road-course races, the longest active streak by any driver.
– AJ Allmendinger is making his 400th Cup start at COTA this weekend; six drivers have won in their 400th start.
– Chevrolet drivers won 11 of the last 12 races on road courses but Christopher Bell (Toyota) won the most recent.
Predicting the winner: Using data to set a projected finishing order