Fortier’s Hat Trick Lead Lightning To First Win Of Preseason
Tampa, FL – Gabriel Fortier led the way scoring three times as the Tampa Bay Lightning earned their first victory of the preseason defeating the Carolina Hurricanes 8-5.
Carolina was paced by C.J. Smith who scored a pair of goals. Derek Stepan, Spencer Smallman, and Jordan Martinook also scored. Antti Raanta made 18 saves for Carolina who fall to 1-1 on the preseason.
Gabriel Fortier made an impression on Lightning Coach Jon Cooper. “He’s a competitor. He’s fast. And he was great on the PK. He earned his goals tonight,” Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said*. “He had three, probably thought he was going to have four. That post got in the way a few times. He just competes hard. I don’t want to start comparing him to people because then that’s an unfair moniker, but you win with guys like Fortier. He’s got a lot of growing to do in his game, but he’s just one of those guys that he’s gotten better every year and he competes. You want those guys. So, if he keeps going here, we’ll see what happens here down the stretch, but he’s definitely made a name for himself, so good for him.”
The Bolts travel to Nashville on Saturday to take on the Predators completing a three-games-in-three-nights stretch. Puck drop is at 8 p.m. EST.
*Jon Cooper quote pulled from Bryan Burns’s story – https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/forward-gabriel-fortiers-hat-trick-leads-tampa-bay-lightning-to-first-preseason-win/c-326517002
More Lightning & Sports Talk Florida Coverage:
- South Florida could help their chances of a Big 12 invite with a win over Tulsa and the start of an AAC winning streak.
- No. 20 Florida heads to “DeathValley,” where their potent offense vs. a banged-up LSU defense
- Central Florida hopes to pull the road upset as they face No. 3 Cincinnati in AAC showdown
- Miami, UNC meet as struggling ACC division favorites both needing a win
- The NFL Needs To Come Clean On The Washington Football Team Investigation