Waterson Puts VanZant to Sleep in Sacramento

Faber Retires After Impressive Win

The UFC traveled to Sacramento Saturday night for UFC on Fox: VanZant vs. Waterson.  Both ladies are rising stars, but the more experienced Waterson (14-4), showed her poise in the main event.

VanZant (7-3) was keeping her distance in the beginning of the fight, but after a scramble, Waterson got VanZant to the ground with a head-and-arm-throw.  VanZant tried to counter once the fight got to the ground, but in doing so, gave her back to Waterson.

VanZant was doing a good job fighting off the rear-naked choke, but Waterson stayed patient and eventually got the choke tightened up.  This lead to referee John McCarthy pulling Waterson off when VanZant didn’t tap and went unconscious.

December 17, 2016; Sacramento, CA, USA; Paige VanZant (red gloves) fights Michelle Waterson (blue gloves) during UFC Fight Night at Golden 1 Center. Photo; Kyle Terada/USA TODAY Sports

In the co-main event, young prospects Mickey Gall and Sage Northcutt squared off.  The 24-year-old Gall, who was fighting in just his fifth pro fight, used his grappling to overwhelm the 20-year-old Northcutt.  Gall was getting hit with some good punches thrown by Northcutt, which lead to the opening up of a cut on the right eyebrow of Gall.  However, Gall was then able to take the fight to the ground in the first round, landing some ground and pound.

In the second round, Northcutt (8-2) got rocked with a punch from Gall and shot in for a double leg.  Gall sprawled his legs back and got behind Northcutt.  He then began working for the rear-naked choke and got Northcutt to tap 1:40 into the round.

December 17, 2016; Sacramento, CA, USA; Sage Northcutt (red gloves) fights Mickey Gall (blue gloves) during UFC Fight Night at Golden 1 Center. Photo; Kyle Terada/USA TODAY Sports

Gall has gotten all four of his victories via rear-naked choke.  Gall told UFC Commentator Brian Stann that he plans on moving from 170 lbs to 155 lbs for his next fight.

“The California Kid” Urijah Faber (34-10) ended his career with a decision win over Brad Pickett (25-12).  Faber went out in front of his home crowd and put on a show for the final time.  Faber dropped Pickett in the first round with a punch that landed clean, but Pickett was able to recover.

Faber did an excellent job mixing up his stand-up by going for takedowns, keeping Pickett guessing.  One Faber got Pickett to the ground, he stayed busy, going from ground and pound to submission attempts while on top of Pickett.

When all fifteen minutes of the fight were over, the 13,136 people in attendance were on their feet, showing the hometown hero some love.  Faber said leading up to the fight that this would be his last fight and a win Saturday night didn’t change the fact that Faber’s mindset was still to move on from getting inside the octagon.

December 17, 2016; Sacramento, CA, USA; Urijah Faber (red gloves) fights Brad Pickett (blue gloves) during UFC Fight Night at Golden 1 Center. Photo; Kyle Terada/USA TODAY Sports


Greg LaFountain is from a small town in upstate New York called Peru. After graduating high school, Greg enlisted in the United States Marine Corps, serving his country for four years. After the Marines, Greg went to Pensacola State College where he got his Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice. He then moved to Tampa and enrolled at the University of South Florida where he earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communications. Since graduating from USF, Greg interned with Bucs Blitz, covering the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Greg joined Genesis in the fall of 2016, covering Florida State Football, the NFL and the UFC.