Conor McGregor Pleads Guilty; Avoids Jail Time

McGregor Will Have Community Service, Attend Anger Management

Conor McGregor’s legal troubles are now behind him and he can start planning a return to the octagon.  McGregor pleaded guilty to a single violation of disorderly conduct in Brooklyn criminal court Thursday morning, for his involvement in an incident on April 5 at Barclays Center.

Photo: AP Photo/Kevin Hagen

The guilty plea by McGregor was part of a deal worked out with the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office.  The agreement involves no jail time and will not affect the Irishman’s travel visa.  McGregor will also not have a criminal record.

The former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion was ordered to fully pay the bus company for the damages suffered, which he has already done, five days of community service and an anger management program which lasts one to three days.

“I just want to say I’m thankful to the D.A. and the judge for allowing me to move forward,” McGregor said in a brief statement outside the courthouse.  “I want to say to my friends, my family, my fans — thank you for your support.”

McGregor’s statement, as well as McGregor’s manager, can be seen below via ESPN’s YouTube page.

Prior to the deal, the Irish McGregor has faced a possible 12 criminal charges, including two felony criminal mischief charges, for his involvement in the April attack.  Those charges carried a maximum sentence of seven years in prison.

“This is a fair resolution that holds the defendant accountable, ensures restitution for the victims and requires the defendant to perform community service where he can reflect on his conduct and give back to society,” the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.

This all started when McGregor arrived at the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn, NY days before UFC 223 and that’s when chaos took place.

According to multiple reports, McGregor and several of his teammates and coaches ran into the venue, throwing chairs, garbage cans and bike racks at a bus with fighters on it.  The video below shows the bus having objects throwing at it via TMZSports’ YouTube Page.

McGregor turned himself into the police the next day.

Photo: Julio Cortez/AP

Three fights from UFC 223 were called off due to the incident.  A lightweight bout between Anthony Pettis and Michael Chiesa was cancelled after Chiesa got cut from the dolly getting thrown through his window.   Flyweight Ray Borg and Brandon Moreno also had their fight scrapped after Borg got glass in his eye.  Lastly, featherweights Artem Lobov and Alex Caraces were supposed to fight, but Lobov was pulled from the card after being involved in attacking the bus.

With the case being closed, McGregor (21-3) should be able to move forward with his MMA career.  He hasn’t fought in the octagon since UFC 205 in November 2016 when he won the lightweight belt from Eddie Alveraz with a 2nd round TKO.

Photo: (Julio Cortez/AP)

McGregor, who just turned 30 earlier this month, has since been stripped of his belt due to inactivity.  Khabib Nurmagomedov is now the lightweight champion and could be the next opponent for McGregor.  The Russian Nurmagomedov (26-0) was on the bus McGregor attacked and with the attack, the two rival nations, this could be the biggest fight in UFC history.


Greg LaFountain is from a small town in upstate New York called Peru. After graduating high school, Greg enlisted in the United States Marine Corps, serving his country for four years. After the Marines, Greg went to Pensacola State College where he got his Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice. He then moved to Tampa and enrolled at the University of South Florida where he earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communications. Since graduating from USF, Greg interned with Bucs Blitz, covering the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Greg joined Genesis in the fall of 2016, covering Florida State Football, the NFL and the UFC.