Wow, what a way to finish week 1 in college football! FSU-Miami may have spoiled us for the season by playing the best game we’ll see all season on the first weekend! The rest of the weekend was rather bland. Too many mistakes and unforced errors. A number of teams in the FBS (I-A) played FCS (I-AA) teams, and many even lost!!! Embarrassing. Bad weekend for the ACC. Good weekend for the MWC and SEC. We did see a top team go down though, and the Heisman trophy winner with them which knocks the Sooners out of my top twelve, which you can check out below. It also knocks Sam Bradford from contention for a Archie Griffin repeat (keep track of the Heisman race as well after the top twelve!)
1) FLORIDA– Gators dominated an inferior opponent, no surprise and nobody quite worthy yet of leaping them
2) TEXAS- Colt McCoy with a good start to his Heisman run teaming up with his roommate Jordan Shipley to the tune of 8-180 and a score.
3) CALIFORNIA– No worries about jet-lag this year as they pound Maryland into submission by halftime.
4) ALABAMA– Tide took advantage of turnovers and made the plays when they needed them, much like last year, as they gain an impressive win versus the Hokies.
5) BYU- I know Oklahoma played the second half without Sam Bradford, but the Cougars stymied the Sooners O holding them to just 13 points and 265 yards. Great win that keeps their national title hopes alive.
6) USC- The Trojans beat the Spartans (could it end any other way?) soundly despite a slow start, and look to be ready for their trip to Columbus this week.
7) OHIO STATE- I told you, I don’t mess around. The Buckeyes looked to be comfortably ahead but squandered opportunities to close out the Midshipmen and it almost cost them. They will have to play better if they plan on beating USC.
8) OKLAHOMA STATE- Traded punched with Georgia, a very encouraging sign for a team that was all offense and no defense last year. Dez Bryant came up with 2 big scores asserting himself as the best WR in college football.
9) BOISE STATE- The biggest blow the Ducks could land against them was after the game, but the Broncos got the win they needed to get and could have won much easier if they weren’t so sloppy themselves.
10) NOTRE DAME- Irish eyes (and Jerry’s eye) were smiling as Jimmy Clausen and Malcolm Floyd shredded Nevada. A tip of the cap to the ND defense which pitched their first shutout under Charlie Weis.
11) LSU- The Huskies were fiesty under new leadership and the return of QB Jake Locker, but QB Jordan Jefferson looked poised on the road. The Tigers defense is going to have to play better though, as they looked a little too much like last year’s version.
12) OLE MISS- Jevan Snead and the Rebels were like a lot of teams this weekend…sloppy! But they were impressive late so they join the party.
Checking out: Oklahoma (yikes), Illinois (double yikes!), Virginia Tech (tough loss), TCU (not their fault they didn’t play)
STIFF-ARMING STATUE RACE: Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, Dez Bryant, Jacory Harris, Mark Ingram, Jahvid Best, Jimmy Clausen