Lightning Continue To Dominate Red Wings
Nikita Kucherov and Steven Stamkos each tallied power play goals, Brayden Point was credited with the game winning goal, and Andrei Vasilevskiy made 29 saves as the Tampa Bay Lightning defeated the Detroit Red Wings 3-2.
The win improves the Bolts to 9-1-1 (19-points) on the season. They have collected points in nine-straight games, equaling their longest point streak since winning nine in a row from February 18 through March 5, 2016. They set a franchise record by winning their sixth straight home game to open the season. It’s their ninth straight regular season victory over Detroit. They improve to 16-4-0 against them since the 2012-13 season.
“We’re pleased but we also know there is room for improvement,” Steven Stamkos said. “It is encouraging anytime you can start the way we have we’re proud of that effort for sure.”
Frans Nielsen scored a pair of goals (one shorthanded, one power play) for Detroit who fall to 4-6-1 on the season.
Lightning Battle To Hold On:
Mikhail Sergachev was called for hooking with 2:24 remaining in the game. The penalty gave the Red Wings a 2-man advantage as Jimmy Howard had departed the net. Frans Nielsen quickly took advantage notching a power play goal with just 1:49 remaining to cut the Bolts lead to 3-1.
With 1:23 remaining in the game, Nikita Kucherov was sent off after being called for holding. Once again Detroit had a 2-man advantage. They were unable to mount an attack in large part due to the relentless hustle of Alex Killorn. While his contributions will not be found on the score sheet, his effort over the final minute will be applauded in the film room by coaches and teammates.
Kucherov & Stamkos Tie Franchise Mark:
Nikita Kucherov scored his 12th goal of the season to tie the score at 1-1 at the 16:33 mark of the first period. Stamkos gave the Bolts a 2-1 lead on a power play goal at the 6:22 mark of the third.
Both Stamkos and Kucherov have registered a point in each of the Bolts first 11 games, tying Marty St. Louis (2009-10) for the longest such streak to open a season. According to Sportsnet Stats, they are the first pair of teammates to start a season with matching 11 game point streaks since 1992-1993.
- The Lightning allowed the games first goal. They had scored the opening goal in seven consecutive games. (1-0-1 when opponent scores first)
- Andrei Vasilevskiy appeared in his 100th game (91st start) and he recorded his 50th win of his career.
- In his last six starts, Vasilevskiy is 6-0-0, has a 1.17 goals against average, and a .964 save percentage. He’s allowed just six goals in his last five starts.
- With a goal and an assist, Nikita Kucherov extends his consecutive point streak to 14 straight games dating back to last season. It is his 76th multi-point game (including playoffs) of his career.
- Kucherov has an NHL leading 12 goals and is second in points with 19.
- With his power play goal, Steven Stamkos extended his consecutive point streak to 13 games dating back to last season.
- Stamkos now has 214 power play points, passing Brad Richards for third on the all-time franchise mark.
- Mikhail Sergachev picked up an assist on Stamkos’ power play goal. It was his 10th point of the season (4-6–10).
- Brayden Point scored his fifth goal of the season at the 17:04 mark to extend the Bolts lead to 3-1. It ended up being the game winner. He now has 26 points (12-14–26) in his last 25 games dating back to last season.
Up Next For Lightning:
The Tampa Bay Lightning will take on the Anaheim Ducks on Saturday night at 7:00.